A babysitter home with young children Saturday night helped them safely evacuate a house fire and quickly called for help, officials said.
At 7:45 yesterday evening, Stepney responded with Monroe Volunteer Fire Department, No.1 Inc. and Stevenson Volunteer Fire Company to a residence on Sheep Meadow Drive for a reported outside fire on a deck. Upon arrival of E/T 101, the fire had made its way into the interior via the kitchen window. The fire was quickly extinguished by 101’s crew and following units assisted with overhaul.
“Units quickly extinguished the fire and limited the damage, but the occupants will not be able to remain in the house,” Monroe Fire spokesperson Kevin Catalano said.
He said the babysitter was home with the kids when the fire broke out and was credited for safely getting the kids out and calling for help.
Thank you to Long Hill Volunteer Fire Co. #1 Inc and White Hills Fire Company. Shelton, Ct. for RIT and station coverage.